The One Room Challenge!

I’m thrilled and excited to announce that I am participating in my very first One Room Challenge! I’m joining the ranks of some inspiring and talented ladies (links to their blogs at the bottom of this post) and we’re each transforming a room in 6 weeks while documenting our progress along the way.

My husband and I moved into our current home last November, and have not “finished” decorating any of the rooms yet, so the One Room Challenge will be a great push to get at least one done. I’ve decided to tackle the living/dining room, which is one long open space and where we spend the most time in as a family.  Here’s a look at my starting point:

ariannabelle-ORCwk1-livingdiningroom

The space has a nice base. We painted the walls a creamy neutral as soon as we moved in and we have a big comfy light grey sofa that we love.

ariannabelle-ORCwk1-livingdiningroom_

Everything we have, has been carried over from our previous homes (Thousand Oaks and Sherman Oaks).  While some things like the sofa work great in this new space, others just don’t. For the dining space, I’d love to get a bigger table and new chairs.  What we have currently worked great in our previous homes since they were smaller spaces, however their scale looks a bit off here. The Expedit against the wall will likely stay, but I’m thinking of giving it a little makeover.

ariannabelle-ORCwk1-diningspace

The walls look rather empty and bland so I’ll definitely be doing something about that. I’m thinking mirrors above the Expedit unit and a trio of white frames placed vertically in the living space next to the sunburst mirror.

ariannabelle-ORCwk1-livingspace

I’ll be switching out the two rugs in the living room for one large one that’s appropriately sized. If the budget allows, I may also switch out the chair. It’s a slipcovered one that I’ve had since college!

ariannabelle-ORCwk1-TVgallerywall

I have a gallery wall going on where the TV is, but it’s half finished. I used a lot of the frames that I had in my previous home office, but since the configuration is different, some of the art no longer works (do you spot the the eiffel tower going horizontally?) and some frames are empty. I also need to do something to hide those ugly TV wires.

I hope you’ll follow along as I transform this room. I’ll be posting weekly updates every Wednesday morning here, and smaller updates on Instagram. I’ll also be on Pinterest pinning inspiration and the products I’m thinking about or will be using for the space.

If you’re new here, welcome! I am a pillow shop owner, and I blog for fun.  Feel free to browse through my past posts. I not only love design, but I also have a thing for beautiful organization 🙂

ORC Fall 2015 Participants

In good company with some very talented ladies: Apartment 34 | Because It’s Awesome | Coco+Kelley | Design Darling | Design Indulgence |Design Manifest | Christine Dovey | The English Room | Vanessa Francis | Hi Sugarplum | Honey We’re Home | Jojotastic | The Pink Clutch | The Pink Pagoda | Simplified Bee | Style Your Senses | A Thoughtful Place | Kimberly Whitman | The Zhush | TM by CIH

This entry was posted in my home, one room challenge. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The One Room Challenge!

1. Sherry Hart says:

Of course I am such a fan……and this room with all of the light and white is right up my alley! Can’t wait to follow along!

2. Carrie says:

Love your style! Can’t wait to follow along! 🙂

3. CallingitHome says:

Sherman Oaks? Wow, I used to live near you. I love this look, can’t wait.

4. cassie {hi sugarplum} says:

Oh my gosh…this is going to be so good…can’t wait to see!!!

5. This will be fantastic! LOVE the gallery wall you’ve got going on around your TV!!

6. Really excited to follow you along and see the room when you’ve worked your magic:)

7. Corbin Page says:

Great starting point! Love the console you have under your TV and the couch. Can’t wait to see what you do.

Corbin
    BlueDoorLivingBlog.com

8. What a great plan! Can’t wait to follow along and see this come together!

9. This room is going to be fabulous. Cannot wait to see the transformation but, you have a great start.

10. Can’t wait for the fun of the ORC – Your space looks like a perfect pallet to begin! Can’t wait to see what you can do!

11. What a great start you have – can’t wait to watch it all come together!

12. Michelle says:

Such a bright room! What about a bar cart where the little table with the lamp in the dining room is?

13. You’re already off to a great start in my opinion, because I love a good gallery wall around a TV! I can’t wait to see how the space comes together!

14. Trish says:

I have just discovered your blog and can’t wait to dive in! This room has such potential. I love the gallery wall around the TV! Would you mind a couple of observations? Lighting – that big light in the middle of the ceiling just doesn’t make sense for your room. Is it in the budget to move it – it should be centered on the dining table and ideally perhaps you could get a different one – vintage? And on the Expedit, could you find another white lamp for a pair on that? Maybe also a cool floor lamp? The one on that black table doesn’t make sense. A drinks cart would be perfect there, btw. And, my darling, where are your side tables? Where to put a glass of wine and popcorn whilst watching Scandal? I know you have access to lots of lovely fabrics (love your pillow shop) – window treatments? And last, crown moulding, plants and vintage pieces? Well, those are just the thoughts rambling round in my head. I’ll be following along with interest as I really like your style and can’t wait to see how it is reflected in the finished product.

15. The Zhush says:

You are off to a fabulous start-I adore all your pillows and your whole aesthetic so I know I’m going to love the end result!:)

16. How long ago?? Wish we would’ve know each other when we both lived there!

17. Thanks! It’s from Ikea! I need to do a post on the components we used to create it.

18. I thought about that! I think though I’m going to go with an entry table as it’s right next to the front door, so we need a little spot for keys, dog leash, etc. There’s a space right next to it that’s completely empty that I may tackle next and I think could be great for a bar cart.

19. I hear ya! The spot where that ceiling light is kinda bugs me too. Our home is a rental though and we cant do any new electrical wiring to add a light fixture above the dining table. Crown molding isn’t really an option either for the same reason. As for the Expedit, I’m definitely getting two matching lamps to go on top of it. Side tables, pillows, plants, etc. are also in the plan 🙂

20. Yes that would be awesome!